Job Opening: P2P Lending Investment Researcher – Freelance
We have a very strong team of wonderful people and are looking for a candidate with extraordinary qualities to fit in with us.
Approx. 20 hours per month with room to grow. Your £ rate is to be agreed between us.
- Gain first experience in the rapidly-growing world of P2P lending. There is already a skills shortfall in this space, so you could set yourself up as one of the first in the space to have any meaningful experience at a highly respected company.
- Huge opportunity to learn, grow and progress.
- We take a strong interest in your learning, training and development and hope that you will stay on long after in a wider role.
- You decide where and when you work and if you're efficient you can finish your work early.
Fintech, and especially P2P lending, is growing fast and yet there aren't enough skilled people to fill all the roles required. By being part of 4thWay, you could set yourself up for a great career in this space by working for one of the most respected sources of P2P lending research focused on the UK market.
4thWay does high-quality, independent, candid, accurate and transparent information and data for P2P investors. We believe we have the greatest diversity of skills in the business, we are the most quoted independent P2P lending researchers in the national press, and we are recommended by industry insiders and website users alike.
Absolute trustworthiness is the core of what we do when producing guides, candid research, articles, comparison tables and P2P investment ratings.
4thWay's simple goal is to provide a thorough education to P2P lending investors so that they can make better decisions, and make more money, more safely.
What the job involves
We hold over 100 fact-and-data points on dozens of P2P lending sites, much of which either cannot be collected automatically, or it requires interpretation and plausibility checks. We need someone investment-minded to keep those facts and data up-to-date across the website and offline.
This is a junior role where you:
- Curate comparison tables, offline data and some guides for the UK's most skilled and trustworthy P2P lending ratings, research and comparison website.
- Collate and review publicly available information on P2P lending sites.
- Collaborate with 4thWay's social media manager, development team, PR manager, site editor and others, as needed.
- Communicate with P2P lending businesses when necessary to update our information and data.
- Work to improve our processes in data storage and processing.
- Develop a deep understanding of what 4thWay's ethos and offering is.
As you grow, while maintaining your flexibility to work as much as you want, when you want, you could be offered more opportunities, responsibilities and autonomy to suit your strengths and wishes, such as:
- P2P investments analyst and writer.
- Credit-risk analyst.
- Product manager.
- Marketing or business intelligence specialist.
You must have all of the following skills and attributes
None of the following skills and attributes are optional. You will need to be able to demonstrate every one of them:
- We are absolutely looking for investment researcher types and we are are not considering banking, credit card, mortgage or other money-saving type researchers.
- We need to see a strong reason why you are interested in the UK market (e.g. you are currently living in the UK and have done so for a lot of years, you can prove that you have actively invested your own money in UK markets for years, or you can show that the bulk of your other freelance work is based on UK investments).
- You must be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in investing, e.g. from writing investment articles or from being an investment analyst or researcher (in any asset class), from courses you have studied, or by being serious about investing for yourself.
- We will expect to be able to have a serious discussion with you about investing in the investments you currently know and understand best (whether that's shares, bonds, P2P lending or anything else) and we will want to discuss your approach to selecting your investments.
- If you have little career experience in investment or formal training, but believe you have taught yourself investment analysis well (in any asset class), please write a paragraph or two about your investment philosophy in your application as a starting point for discussing that with you.
- You must demonstrate the ability and eagerness to learn a lot about P2P lending in general but specifically about individual P2P lending platforms.
- Excellent communication skills are an absolute necessity; this is not less important to us just because it's a “soft skill”. Specifically, the ability to share your thoughts and feelings clearly; the confidence to share doubts, questions, concerns and admit errors (we will give you all the space you need to do all those things); ability to take advice, and to both give and receive constructive criticism; friendly, respectful and patient of all you come into contact with; the ability to listen properly; the sense and confidence to pick the right medium, e.g. willing to pick up the phone for quick or urgent queries.
- Thoroughly professional, including keeping to any reasonable deadlines you agree to.
- Organised, methodical, conscientious – paying real attention to detail.
- You must have a great work ethic and ability to work alone.
- Good maths skills. For the most part, as always in investing, the maths you need is usually pretty basic, but sometimes you might need to do slightly more complex things. Therefore you need to demonstrate the ability to either do the required maths or otherwise be able to look up a correct solution – whether you do that by finding equations, online tools or Excel formulas is all acceptable.
Attention to detail is essential for accurate investment research, so, just to check you have read this thoroughly, please put in the subject line of your email to me the phrase ‘I read it properly'.
Get in touch
Please send me an email with:
- Your CV, if you have one.
- If your CV is sparse or you feel it is not demonstrative, or you don't have a CV, you may, if you want, send a few brief paragraphs about yourself that you believe are relevant.
- Suggestions of times and dates for an initial five- to ten-minute chat, so we can get to know each other a bit and find out if the role might be for you.
I really look forward to hearing from you and hope that you are the extraordinary person we want to join our great team.